When I put a small flat 4'x6' utility trailer on my Prius, the
mileage went from 55 down to 40!  And that was with no load or added
wind drag other than the trailer. So it is quite silly to think one
can add a trailer to get SOlar without losing more in the trade!

Aerodynamics is funny stuff. It's not at all intuitive, unless you've studied aeronautical engineering.

A flat trailer might seem like it would have low wind resistance; but a square front edge and rough surface can create a considerable amount of drag. Open tires without fenders or wheel wells also have a lot of wind resistance; especially at the top of the tire, which is moving forward at *double* the speed of the vehicle. The bottom of a trailer is also rarely flat or smooth; it will have lots of projections.

Some museums have little wind tunnel setups, where you can insert verious shapes, and read the drag and lift on meters. Some include little smoke generators, so you can see where laminar flow breaks into turbulence, and the big increase in drag it causes.

Lee Hart

--
If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
 - something to do