> > Solar cells bonded to the car directly require some sort of clear resin,
> > epoxy, or polymer.  This usually only lasts about a year before it
starts
> > to break down from UV damage.  ...

Shocking Lesson:  I was preparing to show my solar prius one day and used a
damp cloth and water to wipe the dust off the 11 solar panels.  At first I
felt a slight tingling here and there and then went back to the same panel
and got a good shock.

My panels are fiberglass composite so that they bend slightly and were all
connected in series to get to 250 VDC for directly charging the Prius
battery.  After several years (and this event) one could see water
incursion, discoloration and corrosion that had crept into the solar cell
layer (sandwiched between the fiberglass substrate and the polymer sealing
top layer..

The depth of the edge incursion was as high as 1/2 inch in some edges.
The problem was obvious!  And I had seen it coming  in fact, I know that I
did an initial poor quality sealing job, but figured I'd get back to it
some day to do it right.  Never did. until I scraped the car 14 years later

See image of solar cells: about 50% down this page:
http://aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html

Bob, WB4APR