One more time.

Very few people buy the products they need.  They buy the products that are
SOLD to them.  Ask any advertising professional or media person.  That's
their business.

No other factor in purchasing decisions carries anything close to
advertising's weight.

It may be difficult for you to understand or believe this because you, like
most folks here, are probably more a "thinker" than a "feeler."  Trust me,
you're atypical.

Fifty years ago, pickup trucks were for tradespeople and farmers.  A  1970s
teenage boy would do almost anything to avoid having to drive dad's pickup
on a date.

SUVs were for hunters, campers, and sportsmen.  "Normal" people didn't buy
them because they were clumsy, ugly, and "drove like trucks," which is what
they were.

Then came CAFE.  Trucks were exempt from CAFE regulations.  The automakers
despised CAFE, so they began advertising trucks and SUVs heavily.

If you can't guess what happened next, just read the first paragraph at the
top of this message.

The ads still push pickups, SUVs, and now crossovers (clumsy, topheavy,
overweight, overpowered station wagons).  In fact, the automakers advertise
almost nothing else.

So people buy pickups, SUVs, and crossovers, regardless of what they really
need.  They literally never even consider anyhing else.  That's why both Lee
and I see driveways here in the midwest stuffed with 3 or 4 or 5 vehicles,
and every bloody one of them is a pickup or SUV.

When Hyundai wanted to establish themselvs in the US market in the 1980s,
they advertised their subcompact Excel.  It wasn't a very good car, but they
sold a lot of them, because they advertised it.

If the automakers wanted to sell small cars, ICEV or EV, they'd advertise
them.  They don't, and they don't.

When the automakers want to sell EVs in the US, they'll advertise them here.
They don't, and they don't.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     If you made a column of things you're pretty sure you know, and
     then made another column of how you know those things, most of
     that column is like: "Some guy told me." It's just clickbait
     and hearsay.  Goes into the head, locks onto a feeling, you're
     like: "That sounds good. I'm gonna tell other people that." And
     that's how brand marketing works, and also fascism, we're
     finding.

                                                     -- Marc Maron