There are only two ways out of my neighborhood.  The short way is on a highway
with a 55mph speed limit.  The long way (adds 6 miles) has a posted speed limit
of 45.
So technically NEVs would not be a legal way to get to town.  On the other
hand, I doubt anyone else around here ( including the cops) realize that, so
you could probably get away with it.

On the other hand, every used NEV I've seen for sale costs as much or more than
a used EV, so I've never serious considered buying one.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key