FWIW, I was in Shanghai about 2 years ago - amazing transformation from ugly and smelly.  All of the motorcycles and 3-wheel delivery vehicles are now electric.  The noise level was dramatically reduced in addition to the smog reduction.

So NEVs do indeed have their place, as long as one keeps in mind the limitations of where they will be used.

Cheers, Peter