>> A couple years after that my 'grandfathered' status runs out and I'll be
>> switched to their new
>> 'solar customer' rates, at that point it will cost me over $800 a year just
>> for the privilege of
>> being connected to the grid. iI figure it will be cheaper to buy some used
>> EV batteries and
>> disconnect, which is what I plan to do.
>
> Of course I do not fully understand your situation. But it appears you
> may have your PV paid for with the years of $.186 valued energy? The

My solar array paid for itself years ago, took a little over 5 years to break
even.

> $800/year surcharge overshadow the value of your production in the
> netmetering.

Under the new rate schedule, I will have to pay approx $60 a month in
connection fees and taxes,
plus they will no longer do 1:1 > stability of a grid connection is not to be
taken lightly. Will
the

Instead, I will have to pay retail for every kwh I pull from the grid and they
will pay me "export
rate" for every kwh I push to the grid, this is on an instantaneous basis, not
trued up annually.
The Export rate is higher than what I get now (~about 5 cents currently) and
the solar customer
retail rate drops to 8 cents per kWh, but that still means I have to pay 3
cents per kwh to use the
grid as storage.

By doing some smart energy management-- only charging the EVs, running the
dryer, etc. when I have
surplus solar -- I could potentially keep the bill down to around $800 annually.
However, I figure it will cost me around $0.50 per day to bank power, that plus
the connection fees
and taxes mean I will probably end up paying over $900 a year.

I keep meaning to write a program to use my energy monitoring system to
calculate my actual costs,
just haven't gotten around to it yet.

>The stability of a grid connection is not to be taken lightly.

I'm already building a second off-grid EV charging station, when I disconnect
from the grid I will
buy a second inverter and set of batteries for my existing array, so I will
have two totally redundant off-grid power
setups.

I also have the Volt. The ability to use it as an emergency backup power source
was one of the
reasons I choose it. While the Volt won't be able to support more than approx
1kw, that's enough to
support my critical loads (fridge, freezer, minisplit heat pump) plus a few
lights, etc.

I'm also planning on buying one of the EV pickups that should be available in
the next couple
years. That will give me a much more capable backup power system

With 3-4 independant power systems, grid stability is a non-issue. Not that the
grid in my area is
supper stable. We have had at least 4 minor power outages this summer and we
typically have a major
outage (8+ hours) once every 5 years or so.