Some years ago when self-driving was just emerging, the engineers
implemented the exact vehicle code and made the car come to a full
stop, before the white line and await its turn.
What the practice provided on the streets was that the vehicle was too
polite, they had a large number of incidents where another vehicle
jumped the queue and went before their turn, because it seemed that
the self-driving vehicle was not ready to go at its turn, so they had
to make the vehicle more aggressive and start rolling in preparation
of its turn to indicate that it was ready to go, simulating the
behavior of human drivers and their expectations of other vehicles,
then the amount of queue jumpers went down to "normal" rude behavior
that we encounter from time to time.
I think the rolling (at low speed) through stop signs when no other
traffic is around is exactly that - mimicking behavior of other
drivers where safe and beneficial, with the added benefit of never
losing focus on safety. Check the crash statistics to see the
difference between machine driven vehicles and human driven vehicles,
I think it is already well above a 1:10 ratio in incidents that
machine is better than distracted human drivers. The whole point of
traffic law is to avoid loss, it is always a balance between traffic
throughput (loss of time) and loss of life and property, so traffic
laws are not even aiming for maximum safety, just reasonable safety
without excessive delays. Rolling through stops when no traffic is
present sounds exactly what *should* be encoded in law. Note that
exactly that is already the case for bicyclists in some states, for
exactly the reason of having acceptable safety without excessive
demands on riders to make a full stop and accelerate again and again,
wearing them out and delaying their journey without safety benefit.
Cor.