Fast charging during the day will be expensive for trucks and thus be unpopular. The fast charger operator will take a cut, and the grid operator will charge peak rates for electricity.

Passenger EV's don't typically use fast chargers, they charge at more reasonable speeds and rates at home. You want to take a trip, then you are willing to pay extra to fast charge on the road. Fast charging is like eating in a restaurant. Most folks see it as a waste of money on a daily basis and eat at home for far less money.

Economics will shape the industry and will determine how and when trucks will charge. Unlike passenger cars, trucks are very price sensitive and will opt for the least expensive option. The available surplus grid capacity will set the price of electricity, and the trucking industry will find the most economical electricity price.

EV trucks will seldom be recharged on route at high electricity costs with the driver being paid to wait. It is not economic as the trucking company will lose money and it simply will not be done. (Or be done rarely.) EV trucks will no doubt be used for runs that are within their battery range.

Bill D.