From: "EV List Lackey" <evp...@drmm.net <mailto:evp...@drmm.net> >

To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org
<mailto:ev@lists.evdl.org> >

Subject: Re: [EVDL] Rental giant Hertz dumps EVs, including Teslas,

                for gas cars | Reuters

<mailto:65a21eb1.23779.3149...@evpost.drmm.net> >

On 12 Jan 2024 at 10:29, Rush via EV wrote:

> I've heard lots of whining about how difficult change is but this

> thread takes the cake

VW is returning to real physical controls - at least simulated ones -
because all over the world their customers have told VW that they despise
touchscreens.

But that's a matter of taste.

Having controls where the driver expects them is a matter of *safety*.

No one should have to watch a video introduction or take a class before
driving a rental car, or even a new car he's just bought.

Tesla moved controls to a touchscreen not because anyone asked for them
there, but because Elon Musk himself, stuck in his adolescent science
fiction world, wanted them there.

Musk doesn't build cars for customers, he builds them for himself. If you
happen to like what he likes, great.  Otherwise, tough.

That's been working surprisingly well for him, but that was before the
unfolding "Cybertruck" disaster. That hideous, awkward, grossly inefficient
lump belongs in a dystopian SF film, not on the road.  If he stubbornly
carries on with it, it will be Tesla's undoing.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my offlist
address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt

     Twenty years ago, if you were eating dinner under the unblinking eye

     of a video-camera, it was because you were in a supermax prison. Now,

     thanks to "luxury surveillance," you can get the same experience in

     your middle-class home with your Google, Apple or Amazon "smart"

     camera.

                                                         -- Cory Doctorow