Mark specifically said software, but if the orig poster meant Hardware, and
that
Tesla should sell models without the hardware for FSD, Enhanced Autopilot, Seat
heating, Premium connectivity, etc, then I would think that would make the cars
much more expensive. For example, instead of having one steering system that
would
accommodate all the Tesla variations and needs only to be OTA software updated
upgrade from one level to another, you'd have several distinctly different
system.
So you'd have different softwires, different hardwires, increased shipping and
stocking cost, increased production costs for different builds etc. Sort of
defeating the point of an affordable car.

I sort of think that my Tesla is like a swiss army knife, and we all know how
popular they and their off shoots have become. I don't need the scissors until
need to cut something, so I just unfold them, use them and put them away when I
don't need them, just like I do with the other blades. And the same is true
with a
Tesla, when I need the FSD, I pull down on the steering wheel lever, use it,
otherwise is  invisible and not in any way a problem. If I want to use the map
features of the center console, I just tap an icon and there it is, true I have
pay an extra $10 or so a month, but along with all the other enhances I get, it
is
well worth it.

Best regards,

Rush Dougherty