On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Matt Hamilton<ma...@netsight.co.uk> wrote:
> At the moment I think we are often trying to pitch against the big boys
> saying our system can do everything they can. But maybe the message that
> Umbraco is using is 'we are lighter/smaller/quicker/cheaper etc' than the
> big boys. I know in reality Plone can/does use both messages.
>
> What are your thoughts? I want to gather them up to send to Janus.

I think it depends highly on your perception of what small / medium /
large here means. Is a small CMS a personal Wordpress blog or one-off
brochure-ware site? Plone isn't very competitive in that scale unless
you have already invested in Plone.

Looking at the projects we do over here, we have anything from what we
call small 10 to 50 hours projects, medium sized 50 - 250 hour
projects and numerous large projects that exceed that scale. Our
largest project right now is a multi-year project soon going to hit
8000 development hours, an intranet for an international company with
about 5000 logged in users. Doing a project of that scale with an
essentially 10 man company next to other stuff isn't easy and has some
challenges. But looking at those numbers I find it quite hard to judge
what constitutes a small or large project and how that relates to
"what the big boys" do.

Hanno