We have often used post cards for our conferences (OSDC).
Amanda has some of the old art here:

        http://amanda.dd.com.au/gallery/arch/commissions/open-sauce.html

I think they are cheap and an excellent advertising tool.

Mostly though, it is amazingly easy to get other groups to hand them out for
you. You can post a few around to user groups, conferences, even commercial
conferences, and generally people are happy to put them in registration bags or
at the desk.

Scott