Jacques Mallah wrote:

> --- Russell Standish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There needs to be psychological time in which to
> > unravel the history embedded in a single observer
> > moment. Once one has psychological time, one may as
> > well go the whole hog and have a complete history,
> > with an infinite number of observer moments.
> >
> > Its an Occam thing. Nothing rules out a "Groundhog
> > Day" type of effect, where we endlessly keep playing
> > back a small piece of history (eg 1 day, or even 10
> > seconds if you like), however I suspect this is
> > a more complicated explanation (therefore of smaller
> > measure) than just assuming that we live our whole
> > lives.
>
>     You were doing fine until that little word "we".

I'm not sure what your point is here. It doesn't seem to relate to
your following comment.

> Other obsever-moments exist, but there's no reason to
> insist that the ones that seem psychologically to be
> in our past or future are really "the same person".

Identity is based on recognition. If we recognise these other
observer-moments as belonging to us, then surely the simplest
explanation is that we really did observe them. I grant that it is
logically possible for us _not_ to have experienced them - perhaps
they were experienced by others, and implanted in our brains by aliens.