Stephen writes

> Hi Norman,
>     Who gave this guy a Doctorate? That webpage appears to be merely an
> advertisement for a book.
>     I think that your question is more important that the ramblings of Dr.
> Raj!

I read the page and was pretty dubious myself, although I don't
have the balls to say what Stephen did.  From this page:

     Dr. Raj Baldev said in his book that Black Holes suck and destroy
     the material on one hand, recycles it and then ejects the material
     so violently in the space that they ultimately form stars and planets

     After about 9 months from the release of the book of Dr. Raj Baldev,
     Stephen Hawking, one of the noted authorities on Black Hole changed
     his idea about the Black Hole. Hawking was of the firm opinion that
     nothing could escape from the Black Hole, not even light and nothing
     could come out of it. But in July 2004, at 17th International Conference
     on General Relativity and Gravitation in Dublin,
     he admitted his mistake that he was wrong for thirty years.

Hawking wrong about "nothing could escape black holes"?  Has the
writer never heard of Hawking radiation? Hawking began writing
about black holes evaporating as far back as the 1970s.

     Was it not the result of Dr. Raj Baldev's new hypothesis on Black Hole?

     Since Hawking did not mention the credit of his changing mind in his new
     research, the lawyer of the Publisher of the book of Dr. Raj Baldev
     served upon a legal notice on Stephen Hawking, on which he offered
     no comments. This issue remained on net for about a year, which the
     author ignored and decided not to move the court keeping in view his
     personal respect for Stephen Hawking.

Well, why isn't there (if this is the case) a lot of condemnation on
the net of Dr. Baldev?  I hope that it is not out of sensitivity to
his and his supporters' feelings. Also, I can't help but wonder if
Dr. Baldev isn't trying to justify the Hindu theories that examine
ages of the universe far, far greater than mere billions of years.

>     How does anyone get information? Does the acquisition of information
> always take some form of "work"?

It would indeed seem to me that if System A obtains information
(from outside System A), then work must be performed. That is,
I lack the imagination or the knowledge to see how in the simplest
case I can think of, a traveling photon that crosses the boundary
of System A and leaves a record  can do no work.