On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:35:12AM -0700, "Hal Finney" wrote:

> The starting point was the framework I have described previously, which
> can be stated very simply as that the measure of an information pattern
> comes from the universal distribution of Kolmogorov.  I then applied this
> analysis to specific information patterns which represent subjective,
> first person lifetime experiences.  I concluded that the truncated version
> which ends when the teleportation occurs would probably have higher
> measure than the ones which proceed through and beyond the teleportation.

Comment to Bruno - Hal starts with the ASSA. I'm pretty sure this
negates functionalism and hence COMP.

I just checked my book - I noted Hal as a staunch member of the ASSA
camp :).

> This leads to a Schmidhuber-like ensemble where we would consider
> all possible universes and estimate the contribution of each one to
> the measure of a particular first-person experience.  It is important

Echoes of my previous correspondence to Bruno - it would seem
Schmidhuber is an ASSA supporter too...

> I think that one of the fundamental principles of your COMP hypothesis
> is the functionalist notion, that it does not matter what kind of system
> instantiates a computation.  However I think this founders on the familiar
> paradoxes over what counts as an instantiation.  In principle we can
> come up with a continuous range of devices which span the alternatives
> from non-instantiation to full instantiation of a given computation.
> Without some way to distinguish these, there is no meaning to the question
> of when a computation is instantiated; hence functionalism fails.

I don't follow your argument here, but it sounds interesting. Could you
expand on this more fully? My guess is that ultimately it will depend
on an assumption like the ASSA.

may safely ignore this attachment.