Le 03-août-06, à 23:05, John M a écrit :

> Are we reinventing the religion?

Yes.

Now, it is not that science is suddenly so clever that it can solve the
problem in religion. It is (justifiably assuming comp) that we can
approach some religion's problem with the modesty inherent in the
scientific attitude, and then deduce testable facts.

That scientific attitude has ALWAYS been in conflict, of course, with
all form of scientism or religionism or whatever based on authoritative
arguments.
It is fair to say that Aristotelism has probably saved the observation
of nature from the influence of such authoritative arguments, but it
has saved only that, and I think it could perhaps be time to dare, at
least, reformulate unsolved old question. Comp gives an opportunity to
do that. It clearly provides the tools. As Rudy Rucker, Judson Webb,
Paul Benacerraf, and others have already shown, notably, is that
computer science and mathematical logic makes it possible to develop
theories putting light on those questions. About the nature of
"matter", Comp, then, appears to go more in the direction of Plato and
Plotinus than Aristotle. Is that even astonishing?