Hi Norman,

It has been said that dreams provide the royal (and oldest) path to metaphysics and doubt. What you are saying here is behind the key of the 6th steps of the UDA argument. Although nowadays "video games + some amount of imagination" can be a good substitute for dream.
Now I am not sure why you say that you can only assume that reality is how things appear to you. I think that this is an Aristotelian prejudice. It is OK if you are thinking about some first person (incorrigible) reality, but you can infer (interrogatively at least) that such a personal reality is a symptom of a more independent reality lying beyond, like the platonist one. And then with the comp hyp you can even assume that that reality is Pythagorean, where there are only numbers and number theoretical relations.

Bruno