Le 27-août-06, à 19:41, 1Z a écrit :

> But you don't really address the existence question. You just loosely
> assume it is the
> same thing as truth.

I just assume that the "existence of a number" is equivalent with the
intended truth of an existential
proposition written in a theory about numbers.

I identify propositions like "there exist a perfect number" with "it is
true that there exist a perfect number".

I am dialoguing with PA (Peano Arithmetic theorem prover). When PA
tells me "there exist perfect numbers", I take it as an existential
proposition. It is a way, for PA, to make an ontological commitment,
which I do too.

Of course, I don't interpret this as "there exist a physical world, and
numbers exist there physically".
I don't assume there is a physical world, and I doubt very much there
is a physical primary world. Indeed the UDA shows such an assumption to
be useless concerning the possible explanations of both quanta and
qualia.