Peter Jones writes:

[Stathis Papaioannou]
> > > If every computation is implemented everywhere anyway, this is equivalent
> > > to the situation where every
> > > computation exists as a platonic object, or every computation exists
> > > implemented on some computer or
> > > brain in a material multiverse. This gives rise to the issues of quantum
> > > immortality and the white rabbit
> > > problem, as discussed at great length in the past on this list.
> > >
> > > One way to discredit all this foolishness is to abandon
> > > computationalism...

[Brent Meeker]
> > I don't see how assuming consciousness is non-computational solves any of
> > these
> > conundrums about every object implementing every possible computation.

> It would mean that every object implementing every possible computation
> doesn't
> imply that every object is conscious. Of course, one can also deny
> that conclusion be regading computation as structural rather than
> semantic.

You don't have to go as far as saying that *computation* is structural rather
than semantic. You only need to say
that *consciousness* is structural, and hence non-computational. That's what
some cognitive scientists have done,
eg. Penrose, Searle, Maudlin. Personally, I don't see why there is such a
disdain for the idea that every computation
is implemented, including every conscious computation. The idea is still
consistent with all the empirical facts, since
we can only interact with a special subset of computations, implemented on
conventional computers and brains.

Stathis Papaioannou