Firstly a big thank you to Russell Standish for providing that
incredibly succinct 'bit stream' summary of universal-dovetailer
ontology. [Though only a vocational mathematician would seriously call
it 'very simple' even if it does have less than 1% of Bruno's word count
for his essay on the subject.] Having the two approaches to the problem
at hand has allowed me to get a bit of purchase on the beasty.

Thanks also to Stathis for that simple and lovely, 'obvious', question
from left-field. I am now convinced that, no matter what others might
say, each number is in fact a process. Bruno referred to some kind of
Platonia, some unspeakably not-anywhere place as the source of numbers
and other mathematical objects or relationships. That is all well and
good but as far as I can see - still - the numbers and other
mathematical objects that people use are words in the strictest sense.
They arise in human minds through inter-subjective induction, empathic
copying [mirror neurons], interaction with the world, etc. But they are
created anew in each brain that learns them, same as all other
constructs. Their fantastic power comes about because they reflect -
emulate and simulate - emergent properties of the rest of the universe.

That this happens so successfully in so many people leads me to infer
that the underlying principle organising the human mind, just as that
organising the Great IT, the Multiverse, what ever, is harmonic resonance.

**************
Meanwhile -
SP: 'How do you know that you are the same person from moment to moment
in ordinary life? The physical processes in your brain create
psychological continuity; that is, you know you are the same person
today as yesterday because you have the same sense of personal identity,
the same memories, woke up in the same environment, and so on. It is
necessary and sufficient for survival that these psychological factors
are generated, but it doesn't matter how this is achieved.'

MP: Yep! I am a story! I am not like a story, I *am* a story. It is *my*
story and I'm sticking to it, except when I find there are aspects of it
I don't like. The problem [or a problem] is that this does not take away
any of the intrinsic paradox of our experience. As I have said many
times our experience is what it is like to be the portrayal of self in
the world created within one's brain. The rendition in its details is
effectively *about* being a person in his/her world, moment by moment.
The experience we argue about, and other, possibly less benighted,
persons write poetry and songs about, is simply what it is like to be
this rendition. The primary practical paradox for each of us is that
unless this distinction is pointed out repeatedly, we mistake the
rendition, the story,  for the world itself. We are doomed to live ever
like this. From the recesses of my dark corner it looks as if Bruno can
show us conclusively that this subjective-objective distinction is an
inherent feature of any kind of universe that we humans have any real
hope of understanding.

and as per the first part above, I think that the answer to the binding
question in each domain is harmonic resonance. As far as I can see it
accounts for why the pure gasses like to form molecular pairs; there
have been reports recently that our sense of smell relies on inter and
intra molecular vibrations as the fundamental [pun unintended] mechanism
for detection and recognition of minuscule amounts of thousands of
different airborne molecules; Steven Lehar has been banging his head
against the wall for many years trying to point out to people how
harmonic resonance can easily explain a huge range of Gestalt type
capabilities clearly effected within the brain; correlations of brain
wave frequencies have been discovered marking temporally related
activities of the hippocampus and cortical regions shown through MR
imaging to be involved in the creation or activation of memories. And
the list goes on.

NB: I hope that my imaginary destination in your speculation of possible
post mortem exploits for my erstwhile sceptical soul is not a
post-Freudian slip. I know that many of my contributions to this and
other lists have lacked the erudite succinctness of those with greater
talents; failure of concentration [AKA 'ADD'] has been a characteristic
of life for me, but I think that 'awaking' to the innards of a black
whole would do more than wonderfully concentrate the mind: concentration
itself would become the major problem even for a ghost! =-O

Regards

Mark Peaty  CDES

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.arach.net.au/~mpeaty/