If there is a split, does it create differentiated consciousnesses? I doubt
it. Perhaps there are two main causes of splitting: where an event would
cause different 'observables', or where an event by necessity breaks the
mechanism of consciousness into different streams. In the latter case, there
could be a 'connective-tissue' of undecohered universes containing weird
brains-in-superposition; these aren't consciousness, but perhaps we get a
bit of bleed-through from the edges.

Or is that just too darned uninformed and ridiculous...?