> Naive question: do physicists reconcile a "really flat" universe and
> the big bang theory? I don't see how.

you mean this problem?

Inflationary theories give a solution, but it is a bit ad hoc.
I am not a big fan of Big Bang - I like Paul Steinhardt's (not Eric
Steinhart) cyclic universe, but I have not read enough about that model
to know if it fares better explaining cosmological observations (but it
is _compatible_ with current observations).

But those reflections are from before my MWI times ;-)
MWI explains fine-tuning (but not flatness) due to the anthropic principle.