Dear Günther,

> thanks for the good references, I will integrate them on the resource
> page (or on a separate page).
> Some of these books I have already read (Boolos),

You mean read with pencil and paper? Machine's theology has no more
secret for you? Have you read the Plotinus paper?

> others are on my list
> (Rogers).

This one is transcendental.  Even from the pedagogical and
philosophical point of view I think.
Only one critic: I prefer the Kleene's version of the second recursion
theorem, far better suited for abstract biology (like in my planaria
paper). But it is a three line reasoning to go from one form to the
another. Note that Kleene version is more general: it works on the
subcreative sets, meaning that it can have something to say on
tractability issues too.

> Smullyan's Forever Undecided is unfortunately out of print, but I am
> on
> the lookout for used copies ;-)
> Best Wishes and thanks for your time in thinking about the best
> references,
> Günther
> P.S.: I agree with you that the best way to convey knowledge is
> discussion - I will keep bugging you with questions concerning COMP
> and
> UDA *grin*

Please do. With pleasure,

> [...]
>> derivability conditions. It contains a chapter, a bit too much
>> blazed in
>> the tone, on the algebraic approach to self-reference, which indeed
>> initiates originally the field in Italy (Roberto Magari).
>> It contains also chapter on the Rosser intensional variants.
>> Smullyan, R. (1987). /Forever Undecided/. Knopf, New York.
>> This is a recreative introduction to the modal logic G. I was used
>> some
>> times ago in this list to refer to that book by FU, and I don't
>> hesitate
>> to use some of Smullyan's trick to ease the way toward self-
>> reference.
>> It helps some, but can irritate others.
>> Note that Smullyan wrote *many* technical books around mathematical
>> self-reference, Gödel's theorems in many systems.
>> Modal logic is not so well known that such book can presuppose it,
>> and
>> all those books introduce modal logic in a rather gentle way. But all
>> those books presuppose some familiarity with logic. Boolos Et Al.
>> is OK.
>> It is difficult to choose among many good introduction to Logic. By
>> some
>> aspect Epstein and Carnielly is very good too for our purpose.
>> Note that the original papers are readable (in this field). All
>> this for
>> people who does not suffer from math anxiety which reminds me I
>> have to
>> cure Kim soon or later. The seventh step requires some math. AUDA
>> requires to understand that those math are accessible to all
>> universal
>> machine 'grasping" the induction principle, this is the work of
>> Gödel
>> and Al.
>> I think the book by Rogers is also fundamental. Cutland's book is
>> nice,
>> but it omits the study of the Arithmetical Hierarchy (SIGMA_0,
>> PI_0, SIGMA_1, PI_1, SIGMA_2, PI_2, ...).
>> AUDA without math = Plotinus (or Ibn Arabi or any serious and
>> rational
>> mystic). Roughly speaking.
>> I will think about a layman explanation of AUDA without math, and
>> different from UDA.
>> Best regards,
>> Bruno
>> On 25 Jan 2009, at 18:45, Günther Greindl wrote:
>>> Hi Bruno,
>>> I would like to add a "guide to AUDA" section on the resources page.
>>> Maybe you could specify the core references necessary for
>>> understanding
>>> the AUDA (if you like and have the time)?
>>> Here a first suggestion of what I am thinking of:
>>> Boolos Et Al. Computability and Logic. 2002. 4th Edition
>>> Chellas. Modal Logic. 1980.
>>> Goldblatt,  Semantic Analysis of Orthologic and
>>> Arithmetical Necessity, Provability and Intuitionistic Logic
>>> to be found in Goldblatt, Mathematics of Modality. 1993.

To post to this group, send email to