I agree halfway with you and expected something (maybe more).
Do you mean "the others" are zombies? not ME (you, etc. 1st pers).
I take it one step further, the "fun" (I agree) includes a satisfaction that
"here is a bunch of really smart guys and I can tell them something in their
profession they may respond to - even if I am outside of their learned
profession" - which is not so 'practical'. Mental narcissism?
Somebody made an 'expert' list, collecting opinions for open concepts in  a
statistical evaluation of what the majority of "experts" think. Of course I
objected: scientific identification is NO democratic voting matter, if 100
so called 'experts' voice an opinion I may still represent the "right" one
in a single-vote different position.

Thanks for your input

John M