On 07 Dec 2009, at 14:25, Bruno Marchal wrote (to John Mikes)

>> Universal machine - BTW: machine, or God, as in (our) theology
> A number or machine which through encoding can emulated all possible
> computable relation between numbers. Examples are given by brain,
> the DNA genome, physical universe, programming language interpreter,
> general purpose computer, etc.
> If we accept Church thesis, then the (mathematically existing)
> Turing universal machine, *is* a universal machine.

Just to be clear. The universal machine is definitely not a GOD.
Usually by God, I mean any entity capable of producing sentences in
some non mechanically reducible way. Arithmetical truth, or the set of
the descriptions of true arithmetical sentences is known to be  a god
in that sense, since Gödel proved his incompleteness theorem.

Universal machine are finite entities. Yes, it is true that they are
always dissatisfied, and always look for more memory-time and memory-
space, they can use walls and paper to extend their memory, or
anything available relatively to their most probable history/

I call them sometimes "baby gods", but this is just a mark of
affection. They are terrible children, and they are know to make life
always more complex and difficult. I guess it is the goal!

A computer is just a tool for solving the problems raised by another
computer. This provides jobs.