On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> That's what I meant by impossible.  If there is no memory at all,
>>> then I don't see how the construct we refer to as "you" can even be
>>> identified.
>>>

>> The universal person. The virgin universal purpose computer, any
>> interpreter. Today, unfortunately, when you buy a computer, it is
>> already full of software which hides its universality. A universal
>> machine is not a trivial object. Babbage did already see that it can
>> eat its own tail.
>>
>> Imagine sort of universal baby. It knows nothing, but can do
>> everything (doable). It is infinitely intelligent and creative at the
>> start. The hard things is to keep it that way.
>>

> It is also infinitely ignorant and so long as it remains that way it's
> nothing to me.  This is just another form of the "everything" universal
> acid.  Just postulate an everything and then we know the something we're
> interested in must be in there somewhere.

What is your alternative to the "everything" universal acid?  That
things just are the way they are (uniquely), and there's ultimately no
explanation for that.  Right?

So we can take our observations of the world around us and construct a
narrative that is consistent with what we see...a narrative that
involves big bangs and electrons.  But what caused the big bang?  Why
do electrons have the particular properties that they have?  If you
propose a particular cause for these things, what caused that cause?

How is that better than a narrative that allows for "everything"?
They would seem to have equal explanatory power.  Which is to say:
zero.