Hi John,

On 06 Dec 2009, at 21:01, John Mikes wrote:

> Dear Bruno,
> on diverse lists (I cannot call them 'science-branches' since lately
> most domains are discussed in considering aspects of several of such
> on the diverse discussion-lists)    -
> CONCEPTS (I wish I knew a better word) appear by different content.
>
> If somebody has the time and feels like (knows how to) do it, a
> brief reconsiderational ID listing would help us outsiders to
> reconfirm what "WE" mean by
>
> Comp   -  (computing, computer-universal or not,)

The doctrine that we are machine. More precisely: digital machine,
that is emulable by a computer program (emulation = numerically exact
simulation).

> The application of (=your relevance of) the Church thesis

It is used to avoid the use of "Turing machine" or "combinators", or
"natural numbers", or any precise universal system/programming
language. All those things can be proved equivalent, and with Church
thesis, they are equivalent with any computation concept appearing in
the future.
Without Church thesis, the concept of computability is ambiguous.

> Universal machine - BTW: machine, or God, as in (our) theology

A number or machine which through encoding can emulated all possible
computable relation between numbers. Examples are given by brain, the
DNA genome, physical universe, programming language interpreter,
general purpose computer, etc.
If we accept Church thesis, then the (mathematically existing) Turing
universal machine, *is* a universal machine.

> White rabbit, (and I don't even dare write:) numbers, -
>        and in not much than 1-2 lines(!!!) ea:

If you take all the computations (mathematically well defined) which
exists in elementary arithmetic (which is universal in the sense
above, so all computations are there), you will find many aberrant
computations, like one where pigs have wings, tea transforms into
coffee, etc. The UDA reasoning shows that whatever is observable is a
sort of sum on all computations. We have to explain why the aberrant
computations seems so rare empirically. I am used to the term "white
rabbit" to refer to the aberrant histories/computations. It is an
allusion to the "white rabbit" of Lewis Carroll.

> UD, UDA, AUDA, with:
> hints to "YES" to the doctor, and maybe some more -
> *

The "yes doctor" is just a pedagogical tool to give a quasi
operational definition of the digital mechanism hypothesis (synonym:
comp).
Comp = you accept that you are a machine in the practical sense of
saying "yes" to a doctor which will scan your body, and reconstituted
in or through a computer. You are the immaterial owner of a body.
Comp is believed implicitly by 99% of the rationalist today. Alas,
most believe also that mechanism fits well with physicalism, but I
gave an argument (UDA) according to which mechanism and physicalism
are incompatible.

UD = the Universal Dovetailer. It is a program which has no input and
no output, which runs without vere stopping, and go through the
emulation of all things emulable. It exists as a consequence of Church
thesis. If you are a machine, the UD will generate all the possible
computationnal truth which makes you conscious and which makes
believing whatever you believe. Sometimes I wrote UD* for the
universal dovetailing, that is the block static structure of the
entire running of a
universal dovetailer.

The UD is something very concrete. See my long french text appendices
for an implementation of an UD in LISP, and some piece of its running.

UDA = the Universal Dovetailer Argument. An argument which show how
and why the physical laws emerge from any universal dovetailing. Note
that a very little part of the set of true arithmetical sentences
constituted already a universal dovetailing.

AUDA is UDA without "yes doctor". With UDA we can know why and how the
physical laws (and sensations) originated in elementary arithmetic.
With AUDA we begin the precise derivation of the laws of physics and
of the laws of the physical sensations, from number theory/computer
science. It predicts less well the notion of matter than usual physics
(to say the least) but it accounts already for the qualia and quanta
similarity and differences (usual physics just ignore the qualia). The
main tools of the AUDA are the modal logics of Gödel-Löb-Solovay(*) G
and G*.

I hope this can help the veteran and the newcomers alike!

> which the 'old listers' apply here with ease (yet maybe(!) in their
> modified i.e.  personalised taste?) - newcomers. however, usually
> first misinterpret into 'other' vernaculars.
>
> (It is my several decade long research experience to sit down once
> in a while and recap
> (recoop?) the terms used in the daily efforts. They change by the
> (ab?)use and re-realizing  their original content may push the
> research effort ahead from a stagnant hole it falls into inevitably
> during most "routine" thinking. -
>  In doing so, almost all the time there occurred an "AHA".
>
> One cannot do it privately and alone. We cannot slip out from our
> skin. I did it with someone knowledgeable in the broader field
> (maybe even a fresh graduate?) or on a public lecture, where
> questions and opposite opinions could be expected.
>
> Best for the hooiday season: this may be a present for Chirstmas.
> On St. Nicholas Day

Don't hesitate to ask any question when you feel something has been
left unclear. Despite its non problematical academical reception,
there are still rumors that something is wrong in the reasoning, but
up to now, it seems to be only that:  just rumors. It may subsist an
error, of course, it is even probable, but then I am interested in
knowing which one. Unfortunately those who spread such rumor never
says what the errors consist in (except things like "consciousness" is
crackpot, first person does not exist, many-world is science fiction,
or vague things like that, and always behind my back. I suspect it
comes from those who demolish (behind my back, already) my old
projects in artificial intelligence,  in quantum information
processing, and in biological computing, in the seventies ...).

I wish you the best John.

Bruno