Stephen,

I think the problem is not so simple. I would rather look at it as part of
the developmental process in the complexity of communal life-forms.

Q1: who provides the care? angels, or well paid members of the society?
Q2: what do "I" provide to the society in return?
Both questions have intricate ramifications. Should a sick person just be
killed off - as a burden on the community, or should there be limitations
(?) on how far a "care" should go before that? My question for the old "Back
to nature" (Rousseau) was: and how about, if a tooth-ache strikes?

Consider a society with a just distribution of values. Nobody has excess,
nobody has unfulfillable needs. Lenin's utopistic society. Or: a phalanster.

Who will clean your sesspool? Would you forcibly assign some people to
unpopular tasks, or wait, untill SOME decide to do it voluntarily? What if
there are not enough vounteers?

Assigning 'larger' rewards for certain activities (early Marxism) results in
economical uneven growth, the death of an advanced society. Assigning a
"Brave-New-World" type educational predestination to some for such tasks is
unfair to begin with. And so on....

I don't feel ready to handle the situation by my own ideas.

John Mikes