Rex,
you wrote something great:

*"Rationality is correlated with survival.  You are rational, and you
survive.

But to say that rationality causes survival?

What if rationality and survival are both caused by the same
underlying processes?..."*
**
My habituel question when neurologists assign thought (mentality?) to the
(measurable) neuronic physiology and claim "That causes the mental process".
Correlated action, as the application of a 'tool' appears combined with the
result of such process and without knowing the details 'scientists' are
tempted to look at it as the 'originator' of the combined process.
BTW I have to clarify (for myself?) Mihai Nadin's idea about 'cause' which
is not in the starting conditions, rather in the aimed-at final stage of the
change. His example is the cat, thrown off a building, falls on its feet,
while a stone will fall just as it happens. The cat 'visualizes' by
inherited trends how to twist while falling, to land without harm. Nadin is
basing this on Robert Rosen's anticipatory principle (different from
teleology).
*As for "survival":* it is an outcome of much more than we can include into
our 'rationality' or whatever. The wholeness in its entirety influences the
happenings by all the relations between all the unlimited ingredients into
an "outcome". We know only part of those so our conclusions are illusions.
We assume what we presume.

John Mikes