On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:14 AM, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 21 Sep, 18:10, Rex Allen <rexallen31...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the significance of intelligence in a universe with
>> deterministic laws?
>>
>> Your performance on any IQ test is not due to your possessing some
>> property called "intelligence", but rather is an inevitable outcome of
>> the universe's initial conditions and governing causal laws.
>
> it is of course both

I guess I'd have to hear your definition of "property" to make any
sense of that.  In what sense is it like the properties of charge,
mass, spin, or color?  And in what sense is it different?

>> Solving a problem correctly is no more impressive or significant than
>> rain falling "correctly".  You answer the question in the only way the
>> deterministic laws allow.  The rain falls in the only way that the
>> deterministic laws allow.
>
> so your actual conclusion is not that intelligence isn't
> intelligence, but that intelligence isn't an achivement

No, my actual conclusion is the part where I conclude:

"The word 'intelligence' doesn't refer to anything except the
experiential requirements that the universe places on you as a
consequence of its causal structure."