Hi David,

I think feisty/curmudgeon is more apt than fierce... but yeah ... :-)

RE: "In other words, what is the relation, in your theory,
between the first-person and specific third-person phenomena?"

Right to it eh? Call the two perspective 1-P and 3P

OK. First, there may be a bit of a misdirection in the words "first-person and specific third-person phenomena?". Phenomena are 100% encountered by a scientist's 1-P experience. It's 100% of our access to anything. It's 'scientific observation'. There's no such thing as "3rd person phenomena". 3rd person is a description of the 'contents of consciousness as scientific observation'...These descriptions have no more reality than that of an abstract set of rules prescribing/proscribing regularity between agreed 1st-person percepts. Their predictive success entails no claim to any capture of ontology or necessity for causal relations.

The 1-P/3-P divide is, in my system, a duality of equivalent descriptions pivoting on mutual consistency in the production of an observer that acquires the 'what it is like, 1-P experience' as a result of the fundamental properties of being within the system thus described. This is not a duality of substance. It is a duality of knowledge resulting from being in and made of a system's componentry and describing it from within.

That's all you have to do.

The usual mistake that's made at this point is to fail to discriminate between the 'why/how' of 1-P and the 'what'. It's extemely easy to isolate the 'what': ELECTROMAGNETISM (EM). This is the beautiful 3-P description of a brain. The list of possible 'what' is delivering 1-P is of length 1. 'Being' electromagnetism results in 1-P.

The real WHY/HOW is in asking 'why is it that EM delivers it?'

Well there you go. You know that the description yuo have of EM and the description that says WHY EM does 1-P (when configured like a brain) are not the same descriptions. In other words you have to start describing the universe in a manner prior to the observer.

How do you empirically justify this new set of descriptions?

Whatever this new descriptive realm is, it should predict an observer that sees the world as we do AND that appears to be a brain when you look at it 3-P.

Neither description set need be unique.

I hope that's enough!

cheers
colin

David Nyman wrote:
Gawd, I've missed you Colin, you fierce old thing!  Is it wet where
you are or is the inundation confined to poor old Brisbane?

I suppose you know that Bruno and you agree (at least in my estimation
of your lines of argument) that observation is the key phenomenon to
be explained at the outset, instead - as you rightly say - of just
being taken for granted.  If this cardinal error is committed at the
starting gate, the rest of the argument inevitably runs in a circle.
Of course you and Bruno start from different premisses vis-a-vis the
primitives, but on the positive side either theory is (I presume) open
to empirical falsification.

One thing I haven't been able to fathom so far about your own ideas is
where you stand on what Bruno calls first-person indeterminacy, which
has come up again in a recent thread.  You know, the transporter
thought experiment, or just the question in general of why I find
myself to be in this particular observer position (as raised in the
target paper).  In other words, what is the relation, in your theory,
between the first-person and specific third-person phenomena?  In
Bruno's computational approach, the relation seems to emerge via a
kind of filtering process or sieve of consciousness considered as a
whole through the infinity of possible computations.  In this way the
computational "everything" is conceived as converging on consistent
first-person narratives as a consequence of various kinds of "measure"
- a very rough analogy would be the emergence of all possible books in
Borges' "Library of Babel".   What would be the analogous ideas in
your own approach?

David