On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 07:54:30AM -0400, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>     Ummm,, again I completely fail to communicate a basic idea to you. My
> apologies. Have you read Russell’s book?
> Onward!
> Stephen

I confess I got lost too with your presentation. My gut feeling is your
discomfort stems from an "almost magical" insertion of the subjective
(ie a knower) into the UDA. Another way of putting it is "what runs
the UD?".

However, the knower is introduced explicitly with the "yes, doctor"
assumption - that I survive with my "brain" substituted by a digital
device. What is this "I" if it isn't the knower? What possible meaning
can "survive" have, without there being a sense of "being"?

Externally, a UD just exists as a static program (just a number that
exists platonically). However, once you have a knower, you can run the
UD, albeit viewed from the inside. In my book I make this explicit
with the TIME postulate, but I don't see anything hugely controversial
about it. It is not referring to any external time, just that the
knower cannot experience all experiences at once.

Have I put my finger on it, or is this just wide of the mark?

UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         hpco...@hpcoders.com.au