On 6/27/2011 8:56 AM, Rex Allen wrote:
And it seems like the question can only be answered by trying out approaches like those described in the article.

You seem to have already made up your mind though. No testing or evidence required - Brent has spoken.

Rex

Not at all. I'm all for trying such methods. But that doesn't invalidate my point that there are reasons for punishment, deterrence and prevention of feuds, that are not dependent on some theory of personal culpability or deterring re-offense.

And no I'm not for returning to public punishments, and especially not executions and corporal punishments. By coarsening public empathy they probably produced more crime than they deterred. In fact I worry that the harshness of our overcrowded prisons may also have the effect of producing more recidivism.