On 01 Jul 2011, at 12:10, Constantine Pseudonymous wrote:

Bruno, can you go a little deeper into what you mean by this prime
matter that you're skeptical of.

It is the idea that there is a fundamental reality made of some stuff having some fundamental ontology. It is mainly the primary matter as introduced by Aristotle. This has led to materialism/naturalism/ physicalism, which is the idea that physics is the fundamental science, and matter-spece-time-energy the fundamental existant. For the platonists, what we see and observe might be the shadow of a deeper, non necessarily physical, reality, so that physics would not be a fundamental science, but could be retrieved from a simpler theory. Indeed with comp, physics can be retrieved from addition and multiplication (and since Gödel, we know that addition and multiplication are not that easy).

I might refer you to my sane04 paper(*) where I explain in english, and rather shortly, why, once we assume mechanism (digital mechanism) then it has to be necessarily like that (some use of Occam, or some nuances can be added, 'course). The physical science are given by what is invariant in all possible universal number's observation. This can already be shown to lead to quantum logic. In fact most of the quantum weirdness are simple consequence of the digital mechanist hypothesis, but the math shows that the whole of quantum mechanics (including relativity) has to be retrieved from computer science/number theory.

If you are interested, ask any question. By construction, the argument is accessible to any Löbian numbers, (as explained in the second part of the sane04 paper). Even if comp is false, I can explain that *you* are at least a Löbian number (comp is basically the statement that you are not MORE than a Löbian number). Basically, a Löbian number is a code of a universal machine which knows (in a weak technical sense) that she is a universal machine. The theory "Peano Arithmetic" is already a Löbian number.

I have gone a little deeper, here, but I can go much more deeper. Obviously it is hard to sum this difficult subject with few words. Computationalism makes possible to use computer science in the cognitive fundamental science/philosophy.

Bruno

(*) http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html