On Jul 24, 1:33 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> OK. But with comp it does not depend on which material you are using.
> Life crops everywhere in arithmetic, and the cosmos appears in long
> sharable computations which multiply enough to make white rabbits
> (extravagant happenings) disappearing statistically.

But I think that's a misplaced assumption when it comes to
consciousness. Think of it as a burning log. If comp says you should
be able to simulate a burning log mathematically does that mean that
your simulation will produce actual heat? To me, obviously it depends
how close your log is to the physical simulation - you can use
concrete logs in a gas fireplace if all you want is the heat and the
appearance of burning logs. If you want to smell burning wood, then
the substitution level isn't low enough.

Craig