On Aug 8, 8:53 pm, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only way to guarantee identical consciousness would be to
> replicate behaviour perfectly. Two entities that produce the same
> outputs for all inputs would have the same consciousness.

What is an entity and an output? If one entity is made of wood, then
it can output flames when I set it on fire. If it's made of solid
rock, it cannot. Both could be sculpted into some kind of machine that
sorts clothespins by size. If there is any consciousness going on, to
me, it clearly takes place at the chemical level, where the material
itself has to spontaneously reveal it's nature in it's native response
to an energetic change. It takes place in the aesthetic difference
between wood and stone - the texture and weight, the sound and
durability against wind and rain. That is the awareness that the
machine shares with us and with animals and plants, heat and light.

There is no consciousness of the clothespins though. Even though
that's what the machine's 'outputs' means to us. That's not a machine
making sense, being intelligent, consciousness, or understanding.
You've got to be kidding. All it is is human intelligence riding on
the back of an unsuspecting pile of minerals or cellulose. To say that
there might be some kind of understanding of clothespins going on
there that is in some way comparable to a human understanding of
clothespins is flat out sophistry.

Craig