On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There are differences between people that do not make a difference to
>> their intelligence or (by assumption) their consciousness.
>
> Definitely. But only certain kinds of differences. Some differences
> which might seem insignificant to us, like an extra chromosome or
> deficiency of a neurotransmitter can make a huge difference/

If it makes a difference to neurotransmission it may make a difference
to cognition. Whether it makes a difference or not is to be
empirically determined. It's the same for a car, a heart or a brain.
The DNA in the nucleus does not seem to take any direct part in
neurotransmission according to the scientific evidence, but you claim
to have special knowledge that it does.

>> An amputee
>> does not behave in the same way as an intact person under all
>> circumstances but he can participate in a conversation and solve
>> problems, so the fact that he is an amputee does not affect his
>> intelligence.
>
> Right, but an amputated limbic system would affect his intelligence.
> As might a lack of cytoplasm in the neurons. I'm not saying that human-
> like consciousness can only exist within a human brain, just that the
> further from a human brain you get, the less like a human it is likely
> to be. If you use another species neurons to make a human-like brain,
> that might work. If you use another self-replicating molecule to make
> human-like neurons, that might work too. Making a logical schematic of
> the brain's assumed functions though it not likely to be successful if
> implemented on inorganic, solid state microelectronics though.

A claim you make with no empirical evidence. You may as well say that
amputees are unconscious despite appearances to the contrary.

--
Stathis Papaioannou