On 8/8/2011 6:14 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Aug 8, 8:42 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 8/8/2011 5:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Aug 8, 7:18 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>    wrote:
It has the capacity to understand what the temperature is and what it's
supposed to be.  You're just showing your carbon racism because my
thermostat is made of glass and metal.
To be clear, I do suspect that each metal strip, and any metal strip,
may be 'aware' of temperature (it's own) but that's not an abstract
'understanding'. The thermostat device as a whole is only a coherent
machine from our perspective. Without us, each part of the thermostat
is just a coincidentally adjacent object, having no unifying
subjective sense amongst the parts.
Unlike those carbon atoms in neurons?
Right. A neuron does have a unifying subjective sense which is a
cumulative entanglement of the sense of it's organic molecules which
includes the sense of it's atoms. Organisms want to survive and
reproduce, metal strips do not.

Craig

I guess reductio ad absurdum arguments don't help with those who accept the absurd.