On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're not programmed to keep ourselves alive, we have to learn how to
> do that ourselves. There is some vestigial programming from thousands
> of years of hominid evolution, but that programming is actually
> hostile to our survival now and we are having to hack into our own
> diet to keep it from making us obese. A thermostat doesn't do that.

Living things including humans are programmed by the evolution. Their
program includes algorithms which allow learning. Machines differ in
that they are programmed by humans rather than evolution, but they
also can have algorithms that allow learning and alteration of
behaviour based on previously unseen environmental inputs. The Mars
rover is an example of such a machine. Machines aren't yet nearly as
smart as humans but they are getting smarter all the time, while we
aren't.

--
Stathis Papaioannou