On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> On 15.08.2011 23:42 Jason Resch said the following:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi<use...@rudnyi.ru>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  On 15.08.2011 07:56 Jason Resch said the following:

>>> Can we accurately simulate physical laws or can't we?  Before you

>>> The answer on your question depends on what you mean by accurately
>>> and what by physical laws. I am working with finite elements (more
>>> specifically with ANSYS Multiphysics) and I can tell for sure that
>>> if you speak of simulation of the universe, then the current
>>> simulation technology does not scale. Nowadays one could solve a
>>> linear system reaching dimension of 1 billion but this will not
>>> help you. I would say that either contemporary numerical methods
>>> are deadly wrong, or simulated equations are not the right ones.
>>> In this respect, you may want to look how simulation is done for
>>> example in Second Life.
>>>
>>> Well, today numerical simulation is a good business
>>> (computer-aided engineering is about a billion per year) and it
>>> continues to grow. Yet, if you look in detail, then there are some
>>> areas when it could be employed nicely and some where it better to
>>> forget about simulation.
>>>
>>> I understand that you speak "in principle".
>>>

>> Yes, this is why in my first post, I said consider God's Turing
>> machine (free from our limitations).  Then it is obvious that with
>> the appropriate tape, a physical system can be approximated to any
>> desired level of accuracy so long as it is predictable.  Colin said
>> such models of physics or chemistry are impossible, so I hope he
>> elaborates on what makes these systems unpredictable.
>>

> I have to repeat that the current simulation technology just does not
> scale. With it even God will not help. The only way that I could imagine is
> that God's Turing machine is based on completely different simulation
> technology (this however means that our current knowledge of physical laws
> and/or numerics is wrong).

I think Brent's comment addressed this well.  It is not a question of scale
or different types of Turing machines.  All Turing machines are equivalent.

>  Yet, I am not sure if extrapolation too far away from the current
>>> knowledge makes sense, as eventually we are coming to
>>> "philosophical controversies".
>>>

>>>  We're already simulating peices of brain tissue on the order of fruit
>> fly brains (10,000 neurons).  Computers double in power/price every
>> year, so 6 years later we could simulate mouse brains, another 6 we
>> can simulate cat brains, and in another 6 we can simulate human
>> brains. (By 2030)
>>
>> But all of this is an aside from point that I was making regarding
>> the power and versatility of Turing machines.  Those who think
>> Artificial Intelligence is not possible with computers must show what
>> about the brain is unpredictable or unmodelable.
>>

> Why that? I guess that you should prove first that consciousness is
> predictable and could be modeled.

Everyone (except perhaps the substance dualists, mysterians, and solopists
-- each non-scientific or anti-scientific philosophies) believe the brain
(on the lowest levels) operates according to simple and predictable rules.
Also note, the topic of the above was not consciousness, but intelligence.

Jason