On 8/23/2011 2:13 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
But the attempts at simulating birds failed completely. Airplanes
don't flap their wings. It took a much more basic understanding of
physics to grasp lift and drag, and it will take a much more elemental
understanding of sensory input and output to replicate human
consciousness. What you are saying about emulating consciousness by
computation is like saying 'if we record the wing flaps exactly, then
we should be able to make artificial birds out of concrete or glass'.

Some airplanes flap their wings and they fly inspite of being made of wood and cloth and batteries and motors. They could be made of concrete and glass if those materials were functiionally adequate.

I see nothing to your argument but unsupported assertion that feeling is inherent in biological materials. Repeating it in different examples doesn't make it any more convincing. If feeling is an inherent property of biological materials then there must be something special about the atoms in neurons such that they provide feeling that atoms in transistors don't. Do you have a way to test this theory?