On 8/23/2011 3:36 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Aug 23, 5:58 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 8/23/2011 2:13 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

The basic difference is the ability to feel. Literally proving it
would require a brain implant that remotes to the device, but I would
be very impressed if a machine could convincingly answer personal
questions like 'what do you want', or 'what's bothering you'. If they
could continue to converse fluently about those answers and reveal a
coherent personality which was not preconfigured in the software.
"Not preconfigured in software" sounds like an escape clause.  Your use
of speech was preconfigured in the software of your brain.  All infants
learns to speak the language they hear - and if they don't hear any they
make one up.
Right. Making one up = not preconfigured. If a machine can make a
coherent identity up for itself with a point of view without having
any templates to choose from, then I would be impressed. Note that
infants making up their own language don't wind up with a mix of
French, Chinese, and Braille. Let a machine tell me what it wants or
how it feels without a programmer telling it how it might answer.

But there are strong similarities in all languages, including made up ones. So what makes you think evolution hasn't programmed how you feel? And if it has why deny consciousness to a machine programmed by a human to want certain things. What difference does it make where the desire comes from?