On 01.09.2011 19:57 Craig Weinberg said the following:
On Sep 1, 11:03 am, Bruno Marchal<marc...@ulb.ac.be>  wrote:
On 31 Aug 2011, at 17:22, Craig Weinberg wrote:

This is where we disagree. If the wetness or carbonic nature of the
 brain plays a rĂ´le in our consciousness, this would just mean that
the comp level of substitution is low, not that it does not exist.
For having no comp subst level, you need to make the brain into an
 infinite machine *of some sort* (not all infinite machine will
work for the task).

Bruno

I think it's not the wetness or carbonic nature itself, those are
only the physical correlates. What matters is the interiority; the
experiences - animal stories are elaborations and collaborations of
cellular stories which are elaborations-collaborations of very
particular molecular stories. Silicon doesn't have access to those
organic stories and characters (because what stories it does or does
not have access to is the very thing that makes it silicon), but it
can maybe be inspired to discover it's own version of
pseudomolecular and pseudocellular experience.

You may want to look at Prof Barbara Webb

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/bwebb/

who uses robots to study behavior of animals (I guess mostly insects). Her papers

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=b+webb+robot

seem to be popular. I should say that I have not read the papers, so actually I do not know what is going on there. It would be nice to find a popular science paper about this.

Evgenii

I would assume however, that those experiences would even more alien
than an alien life form, and would instead be an order or sense
alien to life itself. Maybe it will be better? Maybe we are the
organic Gods of a yet unborn inorganic paradise. I've always liked
the idea of coming full circle from the origins of life in
crystallized minerals who use organic matter to differentiate
themselves and increase sensorimotive degrees of freedom, to a
twilight of organic life using crystalline mathematics to manifest a
kind of freedom from differentiation.

Craig