2011/10/4 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>

> On Oct 4, 2:11 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The ion channel only opens when the ligand binds. The ligand only
> > binds if it is present in the synapse. It is only present in the
> > synapse when the presynaptic neuron fires. And so on.
>
> It's the 'and so on' where your explanation breaks down. You are
> arbitrarily denying the top down, semantic, subjective participation
> as a cause. There is no presynaptic neuron prior to the introduction
> of the thought of gambling.

And where is the thought then ? Reading you, it exists outside of the brain
matter... If it is the brain matter, then all the external observable is all
there is to it, reproducing the external behaviours will reproduce qualia.

> The thought is the firing of many neurons.
> They are the same thing, except that the reason they are firing is
> because of the subject choosing to realize a particular motivation (to
> think about something or move a mouse, etc). There is no neurological
> reason why those neurons would fire. They would not otherwise fire at
> that particular time.
>
> >This whole
> > process is associated with an experience, but it is a completely
> > mechanical process.
>
> Starting a car initiates a mechanical process, and driving a car
> executes a mechanical process, but without the driver choosing to
> start the car and use the steering wheel and pedals to correspond with
> their subjective perception and motivation, the car doesn't do
> anything but idle. You cannot predict where a car is going to go based
> on an auto mechanics examination of the car.

No, but I can build a copy of the car which will do the same as the car
provided a driver drives it...