Hi,

2011/10/5 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>

> [...]
> that what you are saying, that in fact this discussion is nothing but
> brain drugs with no free will determining our opinions? Isn't being
> right or wrong just a matter of biochemistry?
>

> > > No laws of physics are broken by consciousness, but it is very
> > > confusing because our only example of consciousness is human
> > > consciousness, which is a multi-trillion cell awareness.
> >
> > Exactly what I said. In fact one's only example of consciousness is their
> own.  The
> > consciousness of other humans is an inference.
>
> I agree. Although I would qualify the inference. It's more of an
> educated inference. I'm making a different point with it though. I'm
> saying there is a problem with our default assumptions about micro
> brain mechanisms correlating with macro psychological experiences.
>

> > > The trick is
> > > to realize that you cannot directly correlate our experience of
> > > consciousness with the 3-p cellular phenomenology, but to only
> > > correlate it with the 3-p behavior of the brain as a whole.
> >
> > That's the experimental question, and you don't know the answer.
>
> I don't claim to have the answer, but I have a hypothesis, which has
> to be understood using this way of looking at the mind and brain.
>

> > > That's the
> > > starting point. If you are going to try to understand what a movie is
> > > about, you have to look at the whole images of the movie, and not
> > > focus on the pixels of the screen or the mechanics of pixel
> > > illumination to guide your interpretation. There is no human
> > > consciousness at that low level. There may be sensorimotive 1-p
> > > phenomenology there, and I think that there is, but we can't prove it
> > > now. What we can prove is there in 3-p would only relate to that low
> > > level 1-p which is unknown to us.
> >
> > > My proposition is that our 1-p consciousness builds from lower level 1-
> > > p awareness and higher level 1-p semantic environmental influences,
> > > like cultural ideas, family traditions, etc.
> >
> > But that is entirely untestable since we have no access to those 1-p
> consciousnesses.
> > Cultural ideas, family traditions are 3-p observables.
>
> We have access to our own 1-p consciousness. What else do we need?
> Cultural ideas and family traditions are not 3-p observable - they
> have no melting point or specific gravity, they occupy no location -
> they must be inferred by 1-p interpretation/participation/consensus.
>

> > > It is not predictable
> > > from 3-p appearances alone, but not because it breaks the laws of
> > > physics. Physics has nothing to say about what particular patterns
> > > occur in the brain as a whole.
> >
> > Sure it does - unless magic happens.
>
> Consciousness happens. Physics has nothing to say about what the
> content of any particular brain's thoughts should be. If give you a
> book about Marxism then you will have thoughts about Marxism - not
> about whatever physical modeling of a brain of your genetic makeup

But reading a book is a physical process, photons from the book hit your
retina, which in turns generate electrical current through the nerves to
your brain which acts accordingly to its state and the new input.

So If I have a model of a brain in the same state and gives it the same
input, It'll think about Marxism and not whatever whatever whatever...

I don't know where your idea of having the model of a thing could help you
predict inputs outside of it...