Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 05 Oct 2011, at 17:33, benjayk wrote:
>

>> meekerdb wrote:

>>> It's easy.  It's the way you explain it to children:  Take those red
>>> blocks over there and
>>> ad them to the green blocks in this box.  That's addition.  Now
>>> make all
>>> possible
>>> different pairs of one green block and one red block. That's
>>> multiplication.
>> OK. We don't have to use numbers per se, but notions of more and
>> less of
>> something.
>> Anyway, we get the same problem in explaining what addition and
>> multiplication are in the absence of any concrete thing of which
>> there can
>> be more or less, or measurements that can be compared in terms of
>> more and
>> less.

>>> It's always "true" in Platonia, where "true" just means satisfying
>>> the
>>> axioms.  In real
>>> life it's not always true because of things like: This business is so
>>> small we just have
>>> one owner and one employee and 1+1=1.
>> Yeah, but it remains to be shown that platonia is more than just an
>> idea. I
>> haven't yet seen any evidence of that.
>> Bruno seems to justify that by reductio ad absurdum of 1+1=2 being
>> dependent
>> on ourselves, so 1+1=2 has to be true objectively in Platonia. I
>> don't buy
>> that argument. If our mind (or an equivalent mind, say of another
>> species
>> with the same intellectual capbilites) isn't there isn't even any
>> meaning to
>> 1+1=2, because there is no way to interpret the meaning in it.
>
> Would you say that if the big bang is not observed then there is no
> big bang?
> Why would it be different for "1+1 = 2"?

Right, the big bang is the infinite power of observing itself, so without
observing,... Well, there is no without observing.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> It only seems
>> to us to be true independently because we defined it without explicit
>> reference to anything outside of it. But this doesn't prove that it
>> is true
>> independently anymore than the fact that Harry Potter doesn't
>> mention he is
>> just a creation of the mind makes him exist independently of us
>> eternally in
>> Harry-Potter-land.
>
> This does not logically follows, and beyond this, it is obvious that
> Harry-Potter land does exist in any "everything" type of theories.
> Indeed with comp, or with other everything type of theories, the
> problem is that such fantasy worlds might be too much probable,
> contradicting the observations. The mere existence of them cannot be
> used in a reductio ad absurdum.
My point is just that AR is not plausible just because we have rigid
definitions that we claim to be unchangeable.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

> We don't know what reality is. We are searching.
I don't think reality is primarily a "what". It is an "that". "What"s arise
is reality.

benjayk