On Oct 15, 3:02 am, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> Then how do you manage to wake up a given time in the morning?  Are you
> >> "willing" them in
> >> your sleep?
> > We don't have to will them, it's voluntary. Sometimes they wake us up,
> > and sometimes we wake them up. It's all 'us' it's just that some
> > aspects of what we are are more physiological, some are more
> > subjective, and some shift dynamically within different ranges. We
> > have habits, addictions, choices, conditioning, creativity,
> > involuntary and voluntary motivations of all shades and intensities.
>
> > All that I'm trying to do is to describe the universe in the way that
> > it ordinarily works. I'm not even getting near any kind of non-
> > ordinary realities or forces or anything, just what our common sense
> > perceptions and scientific observations tell us without inferring any
> > forces, fields, or quantum pseudosubstances. When I say sensorimotive,
> > I don't mean anything spooky, I just mean regular old thoughts,
> > feelings, images, flavors, sounds, desires, actions, etc.
>
> I know you do.  That's why you fail to explain why their is a connection
> between having a
> (human like) brain and consciousness.

Consciousness is just elaborated awareness. The connection is that the
brain is very elaborate, so it has very elaborate awareness. That's
the reason why the human brain is different from a cabbage even though
they both are made out of similar physical stuff. The reason why a
computer, even though it is elaborate, doesn't have an elaborate
awareness is because it isn't made out of physical stuff which can
accommodate the type of zoological elaborations required to resemble
our consciousness. If a computer naturally grew to be that elaborate
without us superimposing our sense on it's electromagnetic
characteristics, then it would be conscious too.

> You seem to assert folk psychology and panpsychism
> at the same time.

Not panspychism exactly. I don't think that all matter has equal
consciousness. I just think that all consciousness arises out of a
sensorimotive potential which is inherent in matter.

Craig