2011/10/16 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

> [...]
>
> physical nor spiritual. Your assumptions paint conscious subjects as
>
> epiphenomenal non-objects, orphaned from reason, science, or any
>
> possibility of understanding.
>

> Further, they deny their own self-invalidation without justification,
>
> so that somehow these thoughts of exclusively deterministic
>
> epistemology are themselves immune from their own critical purview. It
>
> is to say that all thought is 'simply' neurology - except this
>
> thought. This is the one special magic thought which disqualifies all
>
> others. It is a philosophy that appeals to many, for obvious reasons,
>
> as it provides the sense of certainty and safety which we crave. The
>
> truth is that is thought is 'simply' the mirror image of new age
>
> religiosity, but owing more of it's spirit to the Inquisition.
>

> I really can't understand your emotional objection to the idea that
> consciousness may be epiphenomenal and supervenient on mechanistic
> processes. It doesn't worry me or affect my behaviour; why should it?
>

> If consciousness is an epiphenomena, and given that the physical laws will
> be explains in term of coherent appearances in machine's consciousness
> (dreams), eventually both consciousness and matter are epiphenomena.
>
> As s rebuttal to Craig non-comp stance and ex-nihilo spontaneous will
> causation, the argument is valid. But the phrasing is dubious. Better to use
> "phenomenological" instead of epiphenomena, I think.
>
> And, I would say, against Terren, that causality can cross level of
> explanation, even if I agree that there is some unaccessible low level,
> which is just the arithmetical law, when assuming comp. But a universal
> machine can emulate a cyclic "causal" relationships, like a universe can
> emulate someone taking an aspirin to act on its brain, and an aspirin can
> indeed act on the brain, which at some high level is a cross level
> relationship, even if at a more lower level, all this is completely
> deterministic. We need this because high level explanation are unavoidable
> (the comp theory force an explanation of both mind and matter in term of
> higher epistemological level).
>
> I think it is important. The materialist eliminativists do that confusion
> so that consciousness becomes a mere epiphenomena, which is the purgatory
> before elimination. With comp this would eliminate both mind and matter,
> with only the numbers remaining. The moral is that high level phenomena are
> what is important, and can have local role. That is what gives free-will a
> genuine sense in the compatibilistic determinist frame. It is also what
> gives consciousness (phenomenological bet on a reality) a genuine power,
> like a relative self-speeding up.
>
> Low level phenomena (like quantum wave or arithmetic) can account for a
> high level phenomenon, but usually cannot 'explained' it in any reasonable
> sense of the terms. Nobody will explain a murder by a quantum field.
> Already, nobody will explain deep blue strategy by invoking the computer's

That's what I wanted to explain to craig... when you run a program on a
computer... the low level of the computer (the transistors of the cpu) are
constraint by the program, it is the high level (the program) that "drives"
the physical states of the CPU.

Explanation will be phenomenologically explains by higher order