On 28 Dec 2011, at 21:29, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

I have attended a class

Introduction to AI

and there are two interesting videos from it about self-driving cars:

Part 1

Part 2

Cute video.

I have no idea if this are Lobian machines or not (such a term has not been mentioned in the class, it looks like that engineers unaware of it). Yet I guess it is a good object to discuss what is perception, qualia, conscious, etc.

Another question would be if such a car could be considered as an observer in quantum mechanics.

Yes, with comp, in the Everett formulation of QM. (where observers's body obey QM). In the others theories, it depends on the theory of mind in use.

In that theory pure QM theory, measurement is only interaction. This makes the quantum superposition of the object contagious to the observer (and thus you get the Many Worlds).

In Everett's theory, observation is interaction. The effect of the interaction is the memory of the events, which makes sense in the partial trace of the observable. Of course you need quite an amount of self-interaction to develop into a human-like observers. Perhaps you need dinosaurs fights and asteroids to get their exact actual idiosyncrasies.