On 29 Dec 2011, at 20:44, Charles Goodwin wrote:

Hi Bruno

What observable properties of black holes may be explained by the fact that they don't erase information?

Black hole evaporation. I am thinking about some work by Hawking.
But $any* true erasing of information is forbid in any theory where QM applies universally. Unitary evolution cannot erase information, although it can hide it and makes it very hard to recompose.

Is that a purely hypothetical suggestion, or is it something we may observe in the near future, or may have already observed, indirectly?

I think some cosmological observations confirm this. It makes QM necessary to justify the existence and stability of Black Hole.

Happy new year Charles,